Identify and agree the sources of knowledge required to identify what to test. Use multiple sources; compare them and cross-check.
Consequence if ignored or violated
There is no way of knowing what to test. Inconsistencies and gaps in knowledge cannot be identified.
- What sources will be used to describe the system and identify what is to be tested?
- What is the derivation/heritage/provenance and reliability of these sources?
- What are the levels of authority or precedence of these sources?
How can test outcomes be related to the goals and concerns of stakeholders?
- Who will authorise the use of these sources of knowledge?
- Who will arbitrate/resolve conflicts between these sources of knowledge?
- Who or what will provide the knowledge covering gaps in these sources?